What says fall better than a classic beef stew? This Instant Pot Hearty Beef Stew recipe is perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon, but with the speed of the Instant Pot pressure cooker, you can make this on any time you’d like.
If you are new to Instant Pot cooking, this recipe is a great one to try. Use the saute setting to brown the meat, then follow up with pressure cooking time to make an amazing stew.
Instant Pot Hearty Beef Stew Recipe
Try this recipe just as is, or if desired substitute a half to 1 cup of red wine for beef broth. I also like mushrooms in my beef stew as another option.
- 3 large red potatoes; diced
- 1 cup carrot chips
- 3 stalks of celery; diced
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 large white onion; diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon salt (may add more to taste)
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 32 oz container beef broth
- 2 teaspoons maggi (or 1 tsp soy sauce + 1 tsp liquid smoke)
- 3 heaping T corn starch
- ½ cup water
- Turn on pot to saute. Add 1 T olive oil plus beef. Turn to brown meat on all sides.
- Add in celery, potatoes and onion.
- Set pressure cooker or instant pot to high pressure. Add in carrots, spices, maggi, and beef broth. Fill with water to max level. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let pot release naturally. Check if potatoes are tender. If not cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Mix corn starch plus ½ cup cold water to create a slurry. Turn IP to "Saute". Add slurry and cook for 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Serve with crusty bread and butter or corn bread.
What’s your favorite Instant Pot recipe?
More Posts You Will Love
Instant Pot Freebies!
*FREE Instant Pot Cooking Chart - Download Instantly
*Step-by-Step Getting Started Directions
*30+ NO FAIL recipes