Have you seen the Instapot raved about on your social media? You may had wondered about this new kitchen gadget. Instapot: What the heck is it and do you really need one?After unpacking 20+ kitchen boxes from our last move, I can tell you I need another kitchen gadget about as much as I need a bikini for our Buffalo, NY winters.
I’d even seen people joining Facebook groups just for this thing. In all honesty, that made me NOT want to get one. I was not interested in joining a new cult, and heaven knows I have enough social media to keep track of.
Yet after hearing all the raving, I admit I was intrigued. When I friend offered to buy me one as a gift, I found myself curiously ready to accept.
I have now used the Instapot for about a month, and I’m here to tell you the Instapot is pretty darned amazing.
Instapot: What the Heck is It?
An Instapot is a pressure-cooker. Pressure cooking is much faster, seals in moisture and flavor, and foods can be cooked directly from frozen.
Unlike pressure cookers of old which were dangerous, this new pressure cooker has 10 proven safety mechanisms. I’ve never worried about burning myself while using my new Instapot.
Additional features (depending on the type you choose):
- rice cooker
- yogurt maker
- steamer (veggies and more)
- saute pan
- hard-boiled egg maker
- slow cooker/crock pot
There is a LOT you can do with one Instapot, so much so that it’s a little overwhelming at first.
What’s great about it is that you can get rid of some of your extra kitchen gadgets and use the Instapot for most things. Instead of a crock pot, egg cooker, rice maker, pressure cooker, yogurt maker — you can use the Instapot for all of those.
Instapot: Do You Really Need One?
You need an Instapot if:
- You want meals to the table FAST.
- You are short on kitchen storage space and want to condense down to 1 piece of equipment. (Although realize this is somewhat bigger and heavier than a crockpot.)
- You enjoy experimenting with new recipes.
- Healthy cooking is important to you. The Instapot makes wonderful healthy recipes, like bone broth.
- You are willing to invest a little bit of time in learning a new gadget. The Instapot is not difficult but there is a learning curve. You can’t just open the box, start throwing food in, and expect the perfect final product. When you begin, follow recipes and cooking times exactly.
- You have some money to invest in a high-quality product. The Instapot is not inexpensive, but you will find it well worth it. Watch for sales on Amazon.com. I have also seen them for sale at Walmart in their Home section.
Speed is what sold me on the Instapot.
I love crock pot cooking. Good grief I have 3 crock pots. I do once-a-month freezer cooking and I have a family of 7 people, so sometimes I have all of mine going at one time.
The Instapot really is a step above a crock pot. You can cook frozen meat in it and have a meal ready and on the table in 30 minutes if not sooner.
Our dinner the other night is what sold me.
I made Slow Cooker Crack Chicken with some semi-frozen chicken breasts in my crock pot. The Instapot was new and I was still nervous about using it.
Dinner needed to be right at 5:00 PM because we were headed out the door to Tae Kwon Do. I open the crock pot at 4:30 PM to find chicken breasts still rock solid in the middle. (I hadn’t put them in until late.)
Typically at this point I throw things on a plate, microwave it and we eat semi-rubbery chicken.
But now I have an Instapot.
I dumped the whole thing in the Instapot and low and behold, within 15 minutes dinner was done and the chicken was so tender.
Instapot: what the heck is it? This Instapot is sold.
Which Instant Pot to Buy?
Are you trying to decide which Instant Pot to purchase? Use this handy buying guide:
More Posts You Will Love
Do you have an Instapot? Tell us about what you like to make in it in the comments section below!
Instant Pot Freebies!
*FREE Instant Pot Cooking Chart - Download Instantly
*Step-by-Step Getting Started Directions
*30+ NO FAIL recipes
Latest posts by Sara (see all)
- 7 Items to Create A Christ-Centered Home This Christmas - September 18, 2017
- 25 Filling Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes - September 18, 2017
- 7 Bible Verses about How to Flourish in Your Faith - September 15, 2017